Hello Everyone and welcome to our first ever swatch-along - it's a game because there's a random prize drawing at the end (March 15th, 2023). The swatch-along is hosted by Sarina Burhans, a TKGA certified Professional Knitter and our first ever social director here at KnitWiz. She'll be answering questions and leading the way, while I'll be writing up the posts and handing out the prize (the fun job).
Our goal with the month-long event is to turn what is often seen as a chore into a fun experience, and perhaps you'll learn a new tip or two along the way.
Here's what you'll need:
- Yarn: worsted/medium weight 100% wool or wool blend
- Needles: US 7 / 4.5 mm needles
- Ravelry access to KnitWiz
Here's what you'll make:
- One stockinette swatch
- One or more fun swatches: choose any pattern. Make it about 5"/13cm square.
Here's how to play:
- Size: cast on 30 stitches and knit 40 rows
- Measure: Place a pin on each side of the unblocked swatch and place the ruler so the distance between the pins can be measured. The pins are placed between stitch columns not “in” a stitch column. See photo below for an example.
- Post your picture of unblocked swatch, with a ruler placed below in the swatch-along discussion thread
- Repeat measuring & posting for the blocked swatch.
A fun swatch is pinned and measured:
- Enter one stockinette swatch & as many fun swatches as you like!
- See the swatch-along thread in the KnitWiz Group on Ravelry
- Use any yarn for fun swatches - (Stash Buster)
- One grand prize will be drawn at random from all the participants on March 16th, 2023. The winner will be posted in the thread and we'll convo you to get your address for sending the yarn.
- The grand prize is three skeins of Hedgehog Fibres. You may choose from any in-stock yarn, donated by Kindred Knits.
- Swatch-along KAL begins on February 14 and ends March 15, 2023